- A Day In My Life -

the ordinary and extraordinary..

Friday, February 25, 2011

Saturday Night Fights

On Saturday night, my husband and I went to my parents' house to celebrate my mom's 50th bday. We played Wii and had a poker game (which I won first place). Everything was good and dandy until a sour subject was brought up.

We were talking about shows and the show Modern Family came up. My mom commented that they (her, my dad, and 22 year old brother) would never watch that show. The reason they will not watch the show is because there is a gay couple on it. My mom and brother especially do not believe in being born gay, they believe that it is a choice. A "choice" they do not agree with.

Well...I do not see it that way. I believe in love, no matter what gender or color of your skin. (They also do not believe in people of different races dating/marrying.) My husband agrees with me.

My mother and husband were both drinking that night and are both more likely to be bolder with their words. And they were. They got into a fight, yelling at each other their beliefs.

I was embarrassed by both of them. I asked them to stop. I said that we have our own opinions and it is obvious that neither of our opinions are going to be changed.

I feel like I come from such a close minded family. My mom told me in high school to only date white guys and that if I ever dated a black guy, that I would be disowned. If I would have fallen in love with a black guy, then I guess I would no longer have parents or a younger brother. If I would have fallen in love with another girl, oh my oh my, I would have been such a disgusting sight to them. They would have freaked out so badly.

The things they say hurt my feelings. Make me feel ashamed to have them as my family. I have so much gay pride for those that are gay and I support them 100%. It makes me want to go out and start educating people on love. Because the thing is, there have been studies to show that your body reacts chemically to certain people. You cannot control or choose who your body chemically reacts to. It is the way you are born, and it isn't something that people should dislike you for.

So, I wonder how I came out differently than the rest of my family? Why am I so open to this idea of love and they are so close minded to what love is?

No comments:

Post a Comment